Emily has managed to pack a lot into the first ten years of her legal career. After completing her law degree with honors from the University of Tennessee in 2005, she has worked as a judicial law clerk in Tennessee, joined an insurance defense firm in Nashville, relocated to Illinois in 2009 to work with a commercial litigation firm, and more recently joined Quinn Johnston. Her practice currently centers on resolving commercial disputes and commercial litigation.
“Tennessee is nicknamed the Volunteer State for a reason,” states Emily. “Growing up and attending college and law school in Tennessee, volunteerism and giving back to your community and your profession were encouraged and even expected.” Emily currently serves as a Grant Reviewer for the Heart of Illinois United Way, assisting in the allocation of funds to deserving programs related to Health and Rehabilitation. She is a member of the Administrative Board for the Junior League of Peoria, recruiting new members for the organization and organizing community service projects. Emily is also an active member of the Peoria County Bar Association, serving as the co-chair for the Legal Education Committee’s Annual Brown Bag seminars for several years.
Emily is an avid reader, a hobby that for her carries over to the practice of law. As she explains, “Every case has a story within it. I enjoy acting as the lawyer who finds that story in my clients’ business dealings, and being in a position to affect the outcome in a positive way.” Currently the legal matters she is involved with include:
- Prosecuting and defending mechanics’ liens and other real estate issues.
- Representing lending institutions from routine collection actions to loan workouts, and priority disputes with other lending institutions.
- Working with local companies on corporate formation, buying and selling a business, negotiating and drafting contracts and non-competition agreements.
- Estate planning and the probating of estates.
- Clerkship: Judicial Clerk for Hon. Chancellor Robert E. Corlew, III, Rutherford County Chancery Court, Murfreesboro, Tennessee, 2005 – 2006
- J.D., University of Tennessee College of Law, Knoxville, Tennessee, 2005
- Honors: cum Laude, Trial Practice Award (Spring 2005), University of Tennessee Advocacy Clinic (Fall 2004)
- Law Review: Tennessee Law Review, Executive Student Materials Editor
- B.A., College Scholars, University of Tennessee, Knoxville, Tennessee, 2002
- Honors: summa cum laude, Honors Program diploma, Phi Beta Kappa
- Study Abroad, University of Wales, Swansea, Fall Semester 2000
- U.S. District Court, Central District of Illinois
- Peoria County Bar Association
- Abraham Lincoln Inns of Court
Illinois Rising Stars List, 2014 – 2017
Illinois Emerging Lawyers List, 2017
- “Professional Real Estate Malpractice,” Illinois Causes of Action: Tort Actions, IICLE, 2014
- “Mandamus and Inverse Condemnation,” Illinois Eminent Domain Practice Guide, IICLE, 2013
- “Caution: Do Not Neglect the Importance of a Sound Organizational Structure for Your Practice,” Peoria Medical Journal, Winter Ed., 2012-2013
- “The Effects of Eminent Domain on the Landlord/Tenant Relationship,” Illinois Commercial Landlord/Tenant Practice Guide, IICLE, 2012
- “A Bitter Pill to Swallow: The Patient Protection and Affordable Car Act,” InterBusiness Issues, March 2012
- “Lessons from Lincoln,” InterBusiness Issues, January 2011
- Peoria County Bar Association, Chairperson of the Annual Brown Bag Seminars (2010 – present); Chairperson of Meet the Judges (2010)
- Junior League of Peoria, Administrative Board (2011 – present)
- Heart of Illinois United Way – Grant Reviewer for Health and Rehabilitation programs (2010 – present)
News & Events
Quinn Johnston Attorneys Named as 2017 Leading Lawyers
Law Bulletin Publishing Company and its Leading Lawyers division has announced that 17 attorneys from the Peoria law firm of Quinn, Johnston, Henderson, Pretorius & Cerulo were named by their peers to the list of the top lawyers licensed to practice law in Illinois.
Annual Labor & Employment Seminar 2016
Quinn Johnston will be hosting an informative labor and employment law update on Thursday, August 25, 2016. This comprehensive seminar will include updates on the current employment law topics from the legislature, courts and executive agencies.
Nine Quinn Johnston Attorneys Recognized for Professional Achievement
Nine attorneys from Quinn Johnston have been named to prestigious lists by two prominent ratings services: Illinois Super Lawyers and Illinois Rising Stars. Quinn Johnston is honored that all nine of the attorneys recognized this year have also been recognized for their professional achievement in past years.
2015 Business & Tax Seminar
Quinn Johnston will be hosting a Business & Tax Seminar on Thursday, October 22, 2015. Join Quinn Johnston attorneys for this complimentary seminar featuring critical updates and information on issues affecting business owners, CPAs and attorneys, general counsel and in-house counsel.
Ten Attorneys Recognized for Professional Achievement
Ten attorneys from Quinn Johnston have been named to prestigious lists by two prominent ratings services: Illinois Super Lawyers and Illinois Rising Stars. Each year, only five percent of the total lawyers in the state are selected for inclusion in Super Lawyers. Please join us in congratulating these outstanding lawyers.