Illinois’ Leading Labor and Employment Lawyers
The employment lawyers at Quinn Johnston recognize that there is no “one size fits all” approach for employment issues and business problems faced by companies. Our experienced employment lawyers take time to get to know their clients’ business, culture, and goals, and we provide advice and representation based on the specific values and needs of each individual client.
Our attorneys also provide advice to employers who employ union employees and must participate in the collective bargaining process. Quinn Johnston’s attorneys routinely represent employers in collectively bargaining negotiations, arbitrations, and union prevention campaigns.
Quinn Johnston proudly offers instrumental legal services to clients on numerous labor and employment-related subjects and topics, including:
- Recruiting, hiring and application process
- Posting legally-required notices in the workplace
- Maintaining personnel records
- Maintaining confidential medical employee information
- Document and personnel record retention
- Human Resources policies
- Employee handbooks
- Wage and hour compliance
- Proper classification of workers (independent contractor vs. employee)
- Agreements and defending breach of agreements
- Discipline and termination of employees
- Workforce restructuring, layoffs and reductions in workforce
- Internal investigations
- Leaves of absence
- Disputing employee unemployment compensation claims
- Drug testing
- Workplace anti-harassment training and management training
- Human Resources audits
- Responding to government audits
Providing Guidance and Training to Clients to Prevent Claims and Limit Legal Exposure
The multifaceted and often interrelated employment laws and regulations may be difficult to navigate even for the most seasoned employer. Our experienced attorneys use their legal experience and knowledge to help employers and businesses understand the law and ensure compliance with employment laws, rules and regulations. Some of the preventative services offered by our firm include:
- Development of Policies and Handbooks
- Legal Assistance with the Hiring Process
- Compliance with Wage and Hour Laws
- Proper Classification of Workers
- Legal Advice when Handling Disciplinary Issues
- Avoidance of Legal Exposure during Layoffs/Reductions in Workforce
- Training Programs for Supervisors and Employees
- Internal Investigations and Human Resources Audits
- Counsel during Government Audits
- Development of Drug and Alcohol Policies
- Leaves of Absences: Complying with Employment Laws
- Employment Agreements, Restrictive Covenants, Severance Agreements
For more information, see our Preventative Services page.
Defending against Labor and Employment Claims
Our attorneys represent clients during every stage of a charge or claim brought by employees. Many employment-related charges must first be filed with state or federal agencies such as the Illinois Department of Human Rights (IDHR), the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), the Illinois Department of Employment Security, the Illinois Department of Labor, the United States Department of Labor, the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), and the National Labor Relations Board (NLRB). Our attorneys have successfully defended clients in all aspects of charges and claims filed before these various administrative agencies.
We defend numerous types of claims brought against employers against employment-related litigation including:
- Discrimination based on race, age, gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation, national origin, religion, or disabilities
- Wrongful discharge
- Constructive discharge
- Whistleblower actions
- Breach of contract
For more information, visit our Labor and Employment Litigation page.
About Quinn Johnston
Quinn Johnston was featured by Fortune Legal Marketplace as a 2013 Top Ranked Law Firm based on Martindale-Hubbell AV® Preeminent ratings for ethical standards and legal ability. Several of our attorneys have also been named as Leading Lawyers by their peers in the Leading Lawyers Network. We represent clients throughout Illinois, including in Peoria, Springfield, Bloomington-Normal, the Quad Cities, Champaign-Urbana, Decatur, Quincy, Jacksonville, Lincoln, Galesburg, Belleville and their surrounding areas. Our experienced litigators strongly defend clients while maintaining a high level of professionalism and ethical standards.