John interviewed for a job with Quinn Johnston after having first practiced law in St. Louis. “When I met with the firm’s hiring committee, I was ready to impress them with my work experience, my law school class ranking as salutatorian, or my undergraduate degree in accounting,” he recalls, “but they were much more interested to hear about me as a person, my values, work ethic and my experiences growing up in Peoria.” The interest the firm showed in its lawyers as people appealed to John. He joined the firm’s Peoria office in 1991 and was elevated to partner a few years later. He currently serves as Managing Partner at the firm.
John leads the firm’s workers’ compensation defense practice, representing and advising employers in employment matters, and defending their liability claims. He regularly arbitrates workers’ compensation claims annually, performs accident investigations, defends employers in related third-party liability claims or premises liability claims, and generally represents business owners, retailers and contractors in a variety of settings from accidents to business disputes. Examples of his results include:
- Obtaining reversal of an Arbitrator’s award of surgical authorization for a lumbar fusion where other evaluating physicians had disputed propriety of the surgery proposed by the injured worker’s treating physician.
- Obtaining a defense verdict for a retailer named as a third-party defendant in a claim brought by a city employee for bilateral ankle fractures.
- Obtaining a favorable arbitration decision denying a claim for benefits to an employee who claimed injuries from an unwitnessed accident. The result was due in large part to a prompt investigation of the accident which included surveillance evidence conducted within days of the alleged event.
- Obtaining a denial of a workers’ compensation claim filed by a bus driver alleging that a defective driver’s seat caused repetitive trauma injuring her low back.
John resides in Dunlap with his wife Nancy and two children.
- J.D., Southern Illinois University School of Law, Carbondale, Illinois, 1990
- Law Review: Southern Illinois University Law Journal, Lead Articles Editor
- Honors: summa cum laude, Moot Court Board President, National Moot Court Team, Phi Kappa Phi, Phi Delta Phi, Balfour National Scholar
- B.S., Accounting, Bradley University, Peoria, Illinois, 1987
- U.S. District Court, Central District of Illinois
- Claims & Litigation Management Alliance
- Illinois State Bar Association, Workers’ Compensation Section Council 1995-1999
- Peoria County Bar Association
- Missouri Bar Association
- Illinois Association of Defense Trial Counsel
- Greater Peoria Claims Association
- Martindale-Hubbell rating of AV® Preeminent
- Illinois Super Lawyers list, 2012 – 2018
- Illinois Leading Lawyers list, 2012 – 2018
- “Workers’ Compensation Update,” Lorman Group, 2012 – present
- “Advanced Workers’ Compensation,” ISBA Law Ed
- “Third Party Liability Claim Update,” Workers’ Compensation Claims Association
- “Workers’ Compensation Law, ADA and FMLA,” Council on Education in Management
- “Workers’ Compensation Explains,” Central Illinois Employers Association
- Braves Club Board, Bradley University, 2004 – 2011
- Pediatric Resource Center, Board Member and Officer, 2002 – 2008
- St. Vincent DePaul Education Commission
- St. Vincent DePaul Finance Council
News & Events
Annual Labor & Employment Seminar 2018
Quinn Johnston will be hosting an informative labor and employment law update on Thursday, June 28, 2018. This comprehensive seminar will include updates on the current employment law topics from the legislature, courts and executive agencies.
Quinn Johnston’s Entire Partnership Named as 2018 Leading Lawyers in Their Respective Practice Areas
Leading Lawyers has announced that 18 attorneys from the Peoria law firm of Quinn, Johnston, Henderson, Pretorius & Cerulo were named by their peers to the list of the top lawyers licensed to practice law in Illinois. Sixteen of the lawyers were named Leading Lawyers, a distinction earned by fewer than five percent of all lawyers registered to practice in Illinois and two were named Emerging Lawyers, a distinction earned by fewer than two percent. Significantly, every firm partner was named a leading lawyer in their designated areas of practice.
2018 Illinois Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
Eight Quinn Johnston attorneys in Central Illinois were named to the 2018 Illinois Super Lawyers / Rising Stars lists.
Presentations: Quinn Johnston 2017 Government & Liability Seminar
Quinn Johnston attorneys presented their annual Government & Liability Seminar on Wednesday, October 25 in East Peoria. The following are videos of each presentation within the seminar.
2017 Government & Liability Seminar
Please join Quinn Johnston on Wednesday, October 25, 2017 for our annual Government & Liability Seminar. Our attorneys will present current developments and new trends that affect municipalities, city managers, insurers, risk managers and adjusters.
Annual Labor & Employment Seminar 2017
Quinn Johnston will be hosting an informative labor and employment law update on Wednesday, May 31, 2017. This comprehensive seminar will include updates on the current employment law topics from the legislature, courts and executive agencies.
Quinn Johnston Attorneys Named as 2016 Leading Lawyers
Law Bulletin Publishing Company and its Leading Lawyers division has announced that 15 attorneys from the Peoria law firm of Quinn, Johnston, Henderson, Pretorius & Cerulo were named by their peers to the list of the top lawyers licensed to practice law in Illinois.
Nine Quinn Johnston Attorneys Recognized for Professional Achievement
Nine attorneys from Quinn Johnston have been named to prestigious lists by two prominent ratings services: Illinois Super Lawyers and Illinois Rising Stars. Quinn Johnston is honored that all nine of the attorneys recognized this year have also been recognized for their professional achievement in past years.
Ten Attorneys Recognized for Professional Achievement
Ten attorneys from Quinn Johnston have been named to prestigious lists by two prominent ratings services: Illinois Super Lawyers and Illinois Rising Stars. Each year, only five percent of the total lawyers in the state are selected for inclusion in Super Lawyers. Please join us in congratulating these outstanding lawyers.
Quinn Johnston Hosts Annual Labor and Employment Seminar
Over 100 attendees enjoyed learning about topics relating to HR and personnel issues. Topics included new Illinois legislation affecting employers that was recently signed into law and recent case law developments related to Title VII, Age Discrimination in Employment Act, and Americans with Disability Act.
Annual Labor & Employment Seminar 2014
Quinn Johnston will be hosting an informative labor and employment law update on Tuesday, August 19, 2014. This comprehensive seminar will include updates on the current employment law topics from the legislature, courts and executive agencies.
Attorneys Named to 2014 Illinois Super Lawyers and Rising Stars Lists
Thirteen attorneys from our Peoria law firm have been recognized for outstanding achievements by two prominent ratings services.
Stuff-A-Bus Food Drive is a Success
Quinn Johnston proudly supported CityLink with its 25th annual food collection program known as Stuff-a-Bus, which supports Peoria Friendship House. Our firm's contribution exceeded 300 food items as well as monetary donations. Attorneys and staff also helped to "un-stuff" the bus.
Exculpatory Contracts: Are They Enforceable?
Exculpatory clauses within contracts are provisions which attempt to eliminate liability for future negligence. Such contracts are not favored, but are valid and enforceable in Illinois as long as they are not contrary to public policy and there is not a unique relationship between the parties.
Exclusive Remedy – Employee May Seek Inconsistent Alternative Claims
In Philpott v. City of Charleston, 12 IWCC 0260, a firefighter claimed in a civil suit that he was "off duty and volunteering" at the time of an accident resulting in paralysis. After his civil suit was dismissed, the firefighter pursued a claim for workers' compensation.
News From the Firm – Summer 2012
Four of Quinn Johnston's attorneys successfully defended a surgeon and a neurosurgeon in two separate medical malpractice jury trials. Jon Stump won a trial related to a motor vehicle accident involving a semi-truck and farm tractor. John Kamin obtained a defense verdict for an employer in a case involving a trip-and-fall in a parking lot.