You would think that Peter knew at an early age he would practice law in Peoria with Quinn Johnston. He grew up in Peoria and his father, Bob Jennetten, was a lawyer with Quinn Johnston throughout his entire career. Peter started out with a bachelor’s degree in Ecology, Ethology and Evolution and a master’s degree in Biology before turning to law school. Peter completed his law degree cum laude from Georgetown University in 1996 and joined the firm that year. He is currently a member of the firm’s Management Committee and the practice group leader for the firm’s Tort, Insurance and General Litigation Practice.
Currently Peter practices primarily in Federal Court, defending police officers and police departments, municipalities, jailers and medical care providers who work in prisons against claims brought against them for injuries and civil rights violations. He also defends municipalities and businesses in federal and state employment discrimination claims and handles general tort defense. “It’s a privilege to represent law enforcement officers, first responders, and jail staff,” he says. “They face a special set of challenges on a daily basis. It’s tough on them physically and emotionally, so they deserve the best defense available when they are sued over.”
Highlights of Peter’s current practice include:
- Being an active member of the DRI’s Governmental Liability practice group, serving on the group’s seminar committee, and chair of the Partnering with Industry committee;
- Winning over 100 summary judgments in federal court cases in claims for civil rights violations and employment disputes;
- Successfully defending civil rights claims in all federal court districts, and has tried cases to verdict in three of the four divisions of the Federal District Court for the Central District and in the Northern District.
Peter resides in Peoria with his wife Jolie, four children, three dogs, one guinea pig, a bearded dragon and a variety of fish.
- J.D., Georgetown University Law Center, Washington, District of Columbia, 1996
- Georgetown International Environmental Law Review, Senior Articles Editor
- Honors: cum laude, Environmental Law Forum (Chairman)
- M.S., Biology, University of Illinois, Champaign, Illinois, 1993
- Honors: cum laude, with distinction
- B.S., Ecology, Ethology & Evolution, University of Illinois, Champaign, Illinois, 1991
- Honors: cum laude, with distinction
- U.S. District Court, Central District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit
- Peoria County Bar Association
- Illinois State Bar Association
- American Inns of Court
- Illinois Association of Defense Trial Counsel
- Defense Research Institute, Civil Rights Seminar Committee
- United States District Court for the Central District of Illinois, Local Rules Committee
- Phi Beta Kappa
- “Defenses to Third Party Actions in Tort,” Third Party Practice, Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education, 2000
- The Law of Covenants between States and Foreign Powers, 8 Geo. Int’l L. Rev. 141, 1995
- “Venue and Transfer,” 2012 Federal Jurisdiction Seminar, United States District Court for the Central District of Illinois and Peoria Bar Association, July 2012
- “Police Liability Update,” Illinois Municipal League Conference, 2010 – present
- “Wills v. Foster, A Defense Perspective,” Civil Practice Seminar, Peoria County Bar Association, 2009 – present
- Martindale-Hubbell rating of AV® Preeminent
- Illinois Super Lawyers List, 2008-2019
- Illinois Leading Lawyers List, 2015-2019
- Illinois State Bar Association Young Lawyer of the Year, 2003
- InterBusiness Issues, “40 Leaders Under Forty,” 2002
News & Events
Quinn Johnston’s Entire Partnership Named as 2018 Leading Lawyers in Their Respective Practice Areas
Leading Lawyers has announced that 18 attorneys from the Peoria law firm of Quinn, Johnston, Henderson, Pretorius & Cerulo were named by their peers to the list of the top lawyers licensed to practice law in Illinois. Sixteen of the lawyers were named Leading Lawyers, a distinction earned by fewer than five percent of all lawyers registered to practice in Illinois and two were named Emerging Lawyers, a distinction earned by fewer than two percent. Significantly, every firm partner was named a leading lawyer in their designated areas of practice.
2018 Illinois Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
Eight Quinn Johnston attorneys in Central Illinois were named to the 2018 Illinois Super Lawyers / Rising Stars lists.
Presentations: Quinn Johnston 2017 Government & Liability Seminar
Quinn Johnston attorneys presented their annual Government & Liability Seminar on Wednesday, October 25 in East Peoria. The following are videos of each presentation within the seminar.
Smith and Chaddock obtain defense verdict for healthcare professionals
Matthew Smith and Adam Chaddock obtained a defense verdict for healthcare professionals at the conclusion of a two-week trial.
Jennetten and Cullom obtain defense verdict for jail medical provider
Quinn Johnston Attorneys Peter Jennetten and Christina Cullom won a unanimous defense verdict in favor of a jail medical provider.
2017 Government & Liability Seminar
Please join Quinn Johnston on Wednesday, October 25, 2017 for our annual Government & Liability Seminar. Our attorneys will present current developments and new trends that affect municipalities, city managers, insurers, risk managers and adjusters.
Quinn Johnston Attorneys Named as 2016 Leading Lawyers
Law Bulletin Publishing Company and its Leading Lawyers division has announced that 15 attorneys from the Peoria law firm of Quinn, Johnston, Henderson, Pretorius & Cerulo were named by their peers to the list of the top lawyers licensed to practice law in Illinois.
Nine Quinn Johnston Attorneys Recognized for Professional Achievement
Nine attorneys from Quinn Johnston have been named to prestigious lists by two prominent ratings services: Illinois Super Lawyers and Illinois Rising Stars. Quinn Johnston is honored that all nine of the attorneys recognized this year have also been recognized for their professional achievement in past years.
Illinois Supreme Court Decision Abolishes the Public Duty Rule
The Illinois Supreme Court rendered an opinion on January 22, 2016 in Coleman v. East Joliet Fire Protection District abolishing the public duty rule. This decision will have a significant impact on the potential liability of municipal entities.
Discussion of Recent Supreme Court Decisions and Circuit Caselaw
Peter Jennetten presented “A Discussion of Recent Supreme Court Decisions and Circuit Caselaw” at the 2016 Peoria County Bar Association Employment Law Seminar. View his presentation materials.
Government & Liability Seminar
Quinn Johnston hosted an informative government and liability seminar on Wednesday,September 16, 2015. This complimentary seminar was suited for Insurers, Adjusters, Risk Managers, Municipalities, City Managers and others in government.
Ten Attorneys Recognized for Professional Achievement
Ten attorneys from Quinn Johnston have been named to prestigious lists by two prominent ratings services: Illinois Super Lawyers and Illinois Rising Stars. Each year, only five percent of the total lawyers in the state are selected for inclusion in Super Lawyers. Please join us in congratulating these outstanding lawyers.
Quinn Johnston Hosts Annual Labor and Employment Seminar
Over 100 attendees enjoyed learning about topics relating to HR and personnel issues. Topics included new Illinois legislation affecting employers that was recently signed into law and recent case law developments related to Title VII, Age Discrimination in Employment Act, and Americans with Disability Act.
Annual Labor & Employment Seminar 2014
Quinn Johnston will be hosting an informative labor and employment law update on Tuesday, August 19, 2014. This comprehensive seminar will include updates on the current employment law topics from the legislature, courts and executive agencies.
Attorneys Named to 2014 Illinois Super Lawyers and Rising Stars Lists
Thirteen attorneys from our Peoria law firm have been recognized for outstanding achievements by two prominent ratings services.
Peter Jennetten Invited to Join Claims and Litigation Management Alliance
We’re pleased to announce that Peter Jennetten has been invited to join the prestigious Claims and Litigation Management Alliance. CLM’s goals are to create a common interest in the representation by firms of companies and to promote the highest standards of litigation management in pursuit of client defense.
News from the Firm – Fall 2012
Quinn Johnston was recently awarded a contract to provide legal services to the Greater Peoria Mass Transit District (GPMTD), effective October 1, 2012. Our attorneys have also recently obtained summary judgment for multiple clients in municipal law and premises liability cases, and the Fourth District Appellate Court recently upheld summary judgment for an insurance company client.
News From the Firm – Summer 2012
Four of Quinn Johnston’s attorneys successfully defended a surgeon and a neurosurgeon in two separate medical malpractice jury trials. Jon Stump won a trial related to a motor vehicle accident involving a semi-truck and farm tractor. John Kamin obtained a defense verdict for an employer in a case involving a trip-and-fall in a parking lot.