Quinn Johnston Hosts Annual Labor and Employment Seminar
On August 19, 2014, Quinn Johnston hosted its annual complimentary Labor and Employment Seminar at the Par-A-Dice Hotel. With over 100 attendees, the annual seminar serves as a beneficial, educational tool for business owners, human resources (“HR”) personnel, and management employees who deal with HR and personnel issues on routine basis.
A continental breakfast was served during the seminar while attendees were instructed about new employment trends from Quinn Johnston attorneys Kim Sarff, Steve Buck, Mike Kraft, Pete Jennetten, and John Kamin. Attendees learned about:
- New Illinois legislation affecting employers that was recently signed into law
- Recent case law developments related to Title VII, Age Discrimination in Employment Act, and Americans with Disabilities Act
- Addressing controversial topics in the workplace, such as “concealed carry” and “medical marijuana”
- The importance of maintaining a company drug policy when defending workers’ compensation claims;
- The status of the Affordable Care Act after the final regulations were issued in February 2014; and
- Potential pitfalls when drafting non-compete agreements.
Quinn Johnston was also honored to host guest speaker, U.I. Program Manager of the Illinois Department of Employment Security, Diane Rice, who gave valuable tips on best practices for employers in protesting and presenting evidence for disputed unemployment insurance claims.
As one attendee stated about the seminar, “This seminar has excellent presenters who are very knowledgeable about labor and employment law. I attend each year, and, each year, I know that I will leave the seminar with very helpful and informative information that can’t be found anywhere else.”
The firm’s next Labor and Employment Seminar will take place in May 2015.