John interviewed for a job with Quinn Johnston after having first practiced law in St. Louis. “I was ready to impress them with my work experience, graduation as salutatorian of my law school class, and my degree in accounting,” he recalls, “but they were much more interested to hear about me as a person, my values, work ethic and my experiences growing up in Peoria.” The interest the firm showed in its lawyers as people appealed to John. He joined the Peoria office in 1991 and was elevated to partner a few years later. He now serves as the firm’s Managing Partner and recognizes the position as one of service to the firm and its employees.
John is a member of the firm’s litigation practice, defending both insurers and self-insureds in liability and worker’s compensation claims and also representing businesses in employment matters and a variety of disputes. He regularly arbitrates claims, performs pre-suit investigations, defends related third-party and premises liability claims. He represents professionals, property owners, retailers and contractors in a variety of settings and business disputes. Examples of his results include:
- Obtaining a defense jury verdict for a retailer named as a third-party defendant in a claim brought by a city employee for bilateral ankle fractures.
- Successfully negotiating resolution and dismissal of OSHA citations and fines related to a worksite fatality.
- Denial of a claim filed by a bus driver alleging that a defective driver’s seat caused repetitive trauma injuring her low back.
- Obtaining reversal of an Arbitrator’s award of surgical authorization for a lumbar fusion where other evaluating physicians had disputed propriety of the surgery proposed by the injured worker’s physician.
John resides in Dunlap with his wife Nancy. He has two adult children and three grandchildren. He enjoys golf and the outdoors.
- J.D., Southern Illinois University School of Law, Carbondale, Illinois, 1990
- Law Review: Southern Illinois University Law Journal, Lead Articles Editor
- Honors: summa cum laude, Moot Court Board President, National Moot Court Team, Phi Kappa Phi, Phi Delta Phi, Balfour National Scholar
- B.S., Accounting, Bradley University, Peoria, Illinois, 1987
- U.S. District Court, Northern and Central Districts of Illinois
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Peoria County Bar Association
- Missouri Bar Association
- Illinois Association of Defense Trial Counsel
- Claims & Litigation Management Alliance
- Greater Peoria Claims Association
- Martindale-Hubbell rating of AV® Preeminent
- Illinois Leading Lawyers list, 2012 – 2022
- Illinois Super Lawyers list, 2012 – 2020
- Braves Club Board, Bradley University, 2004 – 2011
- St. Vincent DePaul Commission and Finance Council