Dave Collins joined Quinn, Johnston in 1991 after serving as a law clerk to two Illinois appellate court judges. Since that time, his practice has been concentrated in the defense of personal injury and wrongful death cases arising out of all types of accidents. He has handled many catastrophic cases involving traumatic brain injuries, child injuries and child deaths. His counsel is often sought by insurers, self-insureds, third party administrators and other defense attorneys on such cases.
Dave’s current practice focuses on three areas:
- The defense of local public entities, their elected officials and employees. He has handled in excess of 225 such cases. He is well-versed in the Illinois Local Governmental & Governmental Employees Tort Immunity Act and frequently gives presentations to officials and employees of local governmental entities, helping them to understand the immunities available to them under the Act.
- The defense of cases involving motor vehicle accidents, including those involving commercial vehicles. Dave has handled in excess of 375 such cases.
- The defense of premises liability cases arising from incidents occurring on both commercial and residential property. Dave has handled in excess of 175 such cases.
Dave is often contacted immediately following an accident, asked to respond to the accident scene, coordinate and oversee the investigation and handle the case through to conclusion.
In addition to his active trial practice, Dave has briefed more than 25 cases on appeal to the Illinois Supreme and Appellate Courts, personally arguing in excess of 15 such cases.
Although Dave has tried numerous cases to favorable outcomes, he is also skilled at disposing of litigation through substantive motions, negotiation, and mediation.
Outside of the office, Dave has a strong record of community service. He currently serves as Vice-Chairperson of the Illinois Supreme Court’s Committee on Character and Fitness, Third District, and as Chairman of the Peoria County Board of Election Commissioners. He previously served on Prairie State Legal Services’ Board of Directors and on CASA of Peoria County’s Board of Directors.
- J.D., Northern Illinois University College of Law, DeKalb, Illinois, 1989
- Honors: cum laude, Dean’s List, CALI Award Medical Malpractice Seminar, Recipient of Award for Outstanding Contribution to Scholarly Publications
- Law Review: Northern Illinois University Law Review, Editor-in-Chief
- B.A., Liberal Arts, University of Iowa, Iowa City, Iowa, 1983
- U.S. District Court, Central District of Illinois
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Peoria County Bar Association
- Illinois Association of Defense Trial Counsel
- Defense Research Institute
- Illinois Appellate Lawyers Association
Martindale-Hubbell rating of AV® Preeminent
Illinois Leading Lawyers List 2014-2018
- “Punitive Damages: Defendant’s Perspective,” Chapter 10 in Proving and Disproving Damages in Personal Injury Cases, IICLE, 2016 (Co-author: Noah Menold)
- “Documenting Your Inspections,” TOIRMA Newsletter, Fall 2013
- Lecturer, Illinois Institute of Continuing Legal Education
- Moderator, Illinois Institute of Continuing Legal Education
- Moderator, National Business Institute (NBI) Seminar
- Lecturer, Peoria County Bar Association, Continuing Legal Education Seminars
- Lecturer, Greater Peoria Claims Association Seminars
- Illinois Supreme Court Committee on Character and Fitness, Third District (2015-present), Vice-Chairperson (2018-present)
- Peoria County Board of Election Commissioners (2015-present), Chairman (2016-present)
- Prairie State Legal Services, Inc., Board of Directors (2012-2017)
- First United Methodist Church of Peoria Foundation, Board Member (2012-2017), Secretary (2014-2017)
- Greater Peoria Mass Transit District Stuff-A-Bus Campaign, Office Coordinator (2013-present)
- CASA of Peoria County, Board of Directors (2006-2009)
News & Events
Quinn Johnston’s Entire Partnership Named as 2018 Leading Lawyers in Their Respective Practice Areas
Leading Lawyers has announced that 18 attorneys from the Peoria law firm of Quinn, Johnston, Henderson, Pretorius & Cerulo were named by their peers to the list of the top lawyers licensed to practice law in Illinois. Sixteen of the lawyers were named Leading Lawyers, a distinction earned by fewer than five percent of all lawyers registered to practice in Illinois and two were named Emerging Lawyers, a distinction earned by fewer than two percent. Significantly, every firm partner was named a leading lawyer in their designated areas of practice.
Dave Collins Appointed Vice-Chairperson of Illinois Supreme Court Committee
Dave Collins was recently appointed by the Illinois Supreme Court to serve as Vice-Chairperson of the Illinois Supreme Court Committee on Character & Fitness, Third District.
Quinn Johnston Attorneys Named as 2016 Leading Lawyers
Law Bulletin Publishing Company and its Leading Lawyers division has announced that 15 attorneys from the Peoria law firm of Quinn, Johnston, Henderson, Pretorius & Cerulo were named by their peers to the list of the top lawyers licensed to practice law in Illinois.
Quinn Johnston Efforts Support Community Food Pantry
Quinn Johnston's employees donated in excess of 1,450 items/dollars to the Peoria-based Stuff A Bus campaign.
Stuff-A-Bus Food Drive is a Success
Quinn Johnston proudly supported CityLink with its 25th annual food collection program known as Stuff-a-Bus, which supports Peoria Friendship House. Our firm's contribution exceeded 300 food items as well as monetary donations. Attorneys and staff also helped to "un-stuff" the bus.
Woof! Woof! Illinois Appellate Court Issues Two Opinions Regarding Claimed Liability for Dog Bites
Dave Collins discusses two recent Illinois appellate court decisions involving personal injuries caused by dog bites. One suit was brought under the Animal Control Act. The second suit included a dog owner's landlord as a defendant under the theories of private nuisance and negligence.
Tools of the Trade: Case Conclusion
Dave Collins explains different methods of concluding a case. He also explains post-trial motions and appeals. A major part of the defense attorney's job is to shepherd the client through the process of a lawsuit, keeping them informed and answering their questions
News From the Firm – Summer 2012
Four of Quinn Johnston's attorneys successfully defended a surgeon and a neurosurgeon in two separate medical malpractice jury trials. Jon Stump won a trial related to a motor vehicle accident involving a semi-truck and farm tractor. John Kamin obtained a defense verdict for an employer in a case involving a trip-and-fall in a parking lot.