Mitch Gilfillan’s path to become an attorney was anything but typical. Following law school, he spent the next six years rising in the Division I men’s basketball coaching ranks. As a former Division I scholar-athlete and NCAA March Madness Tournament participant, Mitch will be the first to admit his competitive attitude correlates perfectly with his legal career. After spending a decade in college athletics, Mitch understands the importance of tailoring his litigation strategy to achieve each client’s unique goals and objectives.
Mitch’s multi-faceted practice focuses on civil litigation defense, corporate and transactional dealings, estate planning, and family law issues. He represents and works with a diverse client base including insurance companies, health care providers, business owners, and individuals seeking both personal and professional guidance. Mitch also works with and represents collegiate basketball coaches and athletic directors. His clients range from coaches with NCAA Final Four experience to athletic directors in the “Power 5” conferences. Driven to provide exceptional service, results, and value; Mitch’s civil and results-oriented approach to litigation puts clients’ legal and professional goals at the forefront.
Having successfully earned favorable jury trial verdicts, Mitch embraces the courtroom atmosphere and prepares each case with a flexible and winning mindset. In addition to his law practice, Mitch is a frequent guest speaker throughout the State of Illinois in a variety of arenas: legal seminars, athletic/educational awards banquets and speaks to collegiate/amateur athletic teams.
As an active civic and charitable contributor to the Greater Peoria community, Mitch also devotes significant time to pro bono clients which helped him earn the 2017 Peoria County Young Lawyer of the Year award. In addition to volunteering with the Peoria County, Illinois State and American bar associations, Mitch serves on multiple boards including the Pediatric Resource Center, Children’s Hospital of Illinois, Peoria Friendship House and Peoria County Bar Association. He also serves on the St. Phil’s Men’s Club, IHSA March Madness Volunteer Committee and assists in running the Strides for Justice 5K Race to benefit Prairie State Legal Services.
- J.D., Valparaiso University School of Law, Valparaiso, Indiana, 2009
- Executive Board for the Trial Advocacy Team
- Moot Court Honor Society
- Highest Course Honors: Trial Practice II
- Finance Chair for the Steering Committee
- B.A., Political Science, Lehigh University, Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, 2006
- One of four students in the Class of 2006 (1,029 total students) to receive The Undergraduate Merit Award
- Received Outstanding Service Award given to the top graduating student-athlete at Lehigh University
- Recipient of the Coach’s Award for attitude, effort & special leadership presented by the Lehigh basketball coaching staff
- Recipient of the Southside Boosters Award presented by Southside Booster Association, Inc. for outstanding citizenship
- Four-year member of Lehigh’s C.O.A.C.H. program (Community Outreach by Athletes who Care about Helping)
- Earned full Division I basketball scholarship, four-year letter winner & voted team captain 2005-2006 season
- State Courts of Illinois
- U.S. District Court, Central District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Illinois
- Peoria County Bar Association, Membership Chair
- Illinois State Bar Association
- American Bar Association; Litigation committee, Family Law Committee; Tort, Trial and Insurance Practice Committee
- The Abraham Lincoln Court
- Greater Peoria Claims Association
- 10th Judicial Circuit Pro Bono Committee
- Estate Planning Council
- Illinois Association of Defense Trial Counsel
- Public Interest Law Initiative – Help Desk Volunteer in Tazewell and Peoria County
- Prairie State Legal Services Campaign Committee, Quinn Johnston Campaign Coordinator
- Pediatric Resource Center Board of Directors, Vice President
- Children’s Hospital of Illinois Community Advisory Board
- Peoria Friendship House Board of Directors, Vice President
- Peoria County Bar Association Board of Directors, Public Relations Chair
- Co-chair of H.O.P.E. (Helping Our Patients Every day) – Children’s Hospital of Illinois
- St. Philomena Men’s Club – Volunteer
- IHSA March Madness Volunteer Committee
- Greater Peoria Friends First Program, Greater Peoria Economic Development Council
- Strides for Justice 5K Run/Walk Committee to benefit Prairie State Legal Services
- American Red Cross Golf FORE the Red Cross Committee
- Peoria City/County Citizens Leadership Academy
- The Brave New World of E-Filing, Peoria Magazines InterBusiness Issues, July 2018
- Healthcare Payment Issues Involving Provider Agreements and Patient Insurance, IDC Quarterly Survey of 2017 Tort Law
- Cybercrime, Digital Evidence and the Impact on an Intellectual Property Practice – Quinn Johnston Business & Tax Seminar, Fall 2017
- “New Job Offer, May I Accept?”: Changing Face of Noncompete Agreements in Illinois, Quinn Johnston Labor and Employment Seminar, Summer 2017
- Spoliation Spoiler: To Save or Not to Save, Greater Peoria Claims Association Seminar, Spring 2017
- ‘Tis the Season: Update on Snow and Ice Removal, CLE Civil Ligation Seminar, PCBA Spring 2017
- Social Media Maelstrom: Changes in Business Policy, Recent Rulings and the Legal Impact on a Business – Quinn Johnston Business & Tax Seminar, Fall 2016
- Medical Marijuana and Concealed Carry in the Workplace: Recent Developments in Illinois Law and What the Future Holds for Employers and Employees – Quinn Johnston Labor and Employment Seminar, Summer 2016
- Farm Liability Policy, Farm Employee Medical Payments, & Worker’s Compensation Coverage – Farm Business and Farm Management Association, Spring 2016
- Minor Settlements: Obtaining Court Approval and Keeping them Confidential, CLE Civil Litigation Seminar, PCBA, Spring 2015
- Nursing Malpractice – How to Avoid It?, Central Illinois Health Information Management Association’s Seminar, Spring 2015
- The Fiduciary Quagmire: A New Standard for Advisers and Investors is Quickly Approaching, Peoria Magazines InterBusiness Issues July 2016
- So Fresh, So Clean: The Clean Power Plan and its Current State of Legal Limbo, Peoria Magazines InterBusiness Issues, October 2016
- Named to Illinois’ Emerging Lawyers by the Law Bulletin Publishing Company. Only two percent of Illinois lawyers under the age of 40 or who have been licensed to practice for 10 years or less earn this distinction. 2017-2018
- Peoria County Bar Association Young Lawyer of the Year 2017
News & Events
2018 Business & Tax Seminar
Quinn Johnston will be hosting a Business & Tax Seminar on Tuesday, October 23, 2018. Join Quinn Johnston attorneys for this complimentary seminar featuring critical updates and information on issues affecting business owners, CPAs and attorneys, general counsel and in-house counsel.
Quinn Johnston’s Entire Partnership Named as 2018 Leading Lawyers in Their Respective Practice Areas
Leading Lawyers has announced that 18 attorneys from the Peoria law firm of Quinn, Johnston, Henderson, Pretorius & Cerulo were named by their peers to the list of the top lawyers licensed to practice law in Illinois. Sixteen of the lawyers were named Leading Lawyers, a distinction earned by fewer than five percent of all lawyers registered to practice in Illinois and two were named Emerging Lawyers, a distinction earned by fewer than two percent. Significantly, every firm partner was named a leading lawyer in their designated areas of practice.
Presentations: Quinn Johnston 2017 Business & Tax Seminar
Quinn Johnston attorneys presented their annual Business & Tax Seminar on Thursday, October 19 in East Peoria. Feel free to view or download the presentations from the seminar.
Mitch Gilfillan Receives Pro Bono Award
Mitch Gilfillan, an associate attorney with Quinn, Johnston, Henderson, Pretorius & Cerulo in Peoria was recently named Peoria County Young Lawyer of the Year by the Tenth Judicial Court Pro Bono Committee.
2017 Business & Tax Seminar
Quinn Johnston will be hosting a Business & Tax Seminar on Thursday, October 19, 2017. Join Quinn Johnston attorneys for this complimentary seminar featuring critical updates and information on issues affecting business owners, CPAs and attorneys, general counsel and in-house counsel.