Research shows the average person changes jobs eleven times over the course of a career. So far, Matt has had only one: working for Quinn Johnston.
Matt grew up in central Illinois, so coming back to Peoria in 1993 after law school was a natural fit. Before long Matt found himself drawn to the defense of medical professional liability cases, working alongside of Murv Pretorius, one of the firm’s senior partners. “For his entire career, Murv was the gold standard for medical malpractice defense lawyers in Illinois,” recalls Matt. “His preparedness, his standing in the medical community, his presence in the courtroom and reputation with the judiciary were always unsurpassed. I was given a rare opportunity to learn from him as a young lawyer.”
Currently, Matt devotes all of his professional time defending doctors and healthcare providers against medical malpractice claims. Ask him what it’s like to be “the doctor’s lawyer” throughout central Illinois, and he’ll quickly tell you, “I enjoy serving a professional client. While the courtroom may be foreign to a physician, the risk of resolving a case by trial is not ultimately that much different than facing the risk of a complicated surgery. Doctors are in a unique position to evaluate those risks.”
Matt includes among his professional accomplishments:
- A not-guilty jury verdict for a surgeon following a three-week jury trial. The patient had suffered significant complications from surgery (a bowel leak leading to a permanent colostomy, pain pump, need for central line feeds) and asked for $22.5 million from the jury. The jury deliberated only 90 minutes.
- Representing doctors covering the full spectrum of medicine: from primary care physicians to surgeons to the sub-specialties of internal medicine.
- A not-guilty verdict following a two-week jury trial for an emergency department physician accused of failing to diagnose a myocardial infarction.
- J.D., University of Illinois College of Law, Champaign, Illinois, 1993
- Honors: Chicago Moot Court Team
- Law Review: University of Illinois Law Review, staff
- B.S., Architecture, University of Illinois, Champaign, Illinois, 1990
- Honors: Dean’s List
- U.S. District Court, Central District of Illinois
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Peoria County Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute
- Illinois Association of Defense Trial Counsel
- Illinois Association of Hospital Attorneys
- Martindale-Hubbell rating of AV® Preeminent
- Illinois Super Lawyers List, 2012-2017
- Illinois Leading Lawyers List, 2009-2017
Defining Property in the Post Lucas World, University of Illinois Law Review 443, 1994
St. Jude Midwest Affiliate Board Member (2012 – present)
News & Events
Quinn Johnston Attorneys Named as 2017 Leading Lawyers
Law Bulletin Publishing Company and its Leading Lawyers division has announced that 17 attorneys from the Peoria law firm of Quinn, Johnston, Henderson, Pretorius & Cerulo were named by their peers to the list of the top lawyers licensed to practice law in Illinois.
Quinn Johnston Attorneys Named as 2016 Leading Lawyers
Law Bulletin Publishing Company and its Leading Lawyers division has announced that 15 attorneys from the Peoria law firm of Quinn, Johnston, Henderson, Pretorius & Cerulo were named by their peers to the list of the top lawyers licensed to practice law in Illinois.
Nine Quinn Johnston Attorneys Recognized for Professional Achievement
Nine attorneys from Quinn Johnston have been named to prestigious lists by two prominent ratings services: Illinois Super Lawyers and Illinois Rising Stars. Quinn Johnston is honored that all nine of the attorneys recognized this year have also been recognized for their professional achievement in past years.
Ten Attorneys Recognized for Professional Achievement
Ten attorneys from Quinn Johnston have been named to prestigious lists by two prominent ratings services: Illinois Super Lawyers and Illinois Rising Stars. Each year, only five percent of the total lawyers in the state are selected for inclusion in Super Lawyers. Please join us in congratulating these outstanding lawyers.
Attorneys Named to 2014 Illinois Super Lawyers and Rising Stars Lists
Thirteen attorneys from our Peoria law firm have been recognized for outstanding achievements by two prominent ratings services.
News from the Firm – Fall 2012
Quinn Johnston was recently awarded a contract to provide legal services to the Greater Peoria Mass Transit District (GPMTD), effective October 1, 2012. Our attorneys have also recently obtained summary judgment for multiple clients in municipal law and premises liability cases, and the Fourth District Appellate Court recently upheld summary judgment for an insurance company client.