Who could forget that TV legal drama from the 1980’s, L.A. Law? “I really enjoyed that show,” admits Mike Kraft, “and as I had no family members, relatives or close family friends who worked in the legal community, it was that TV program that first instilled in me the idea to become a business lawyer.”
Mike attended the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, attaining a double major in economics and political science. While enrolled there, he played on the university’s varsity baseball team under legendary coach Augie Garrido, and he was a member of the 1989 Big Ten Championship team his junior year, repeating as Big Ten champs his senior year. While terms like “teamwork” or “team-building” may be nothing more than euphemisms to some, that’s not the case for Mike. He counts his time playing on championship teams as a true learning experience, carrying over to his profession as a lawyer. He’ll tell you that a lawyer and his client need to work together as a team both to avoid and to solve problems.
As a business lawyer at Quinn Johnston, Mike feels fortunate to pair with some of the best and brightest owners of independent businesses in central Illinois. He divides his time between work in the courtroom on litigated business, employment or probate matters, and counseling clients in the office on corporate formation, employment issues, commercial real estate transactions, banking matters and estate plans.
Mike includes the following among his representative successes:
- Defending and securing a $0 arbitration verdict for a local municipal client in a $500,000+ construction contract claim.
- Counseling a local manufacturing client through a reduction in force in excess of 100 employees without a resulting claim.
- Successfully defending employers in numerous employee discrimination and discharge claim proceedings.
Mike resides in Morton with his wife Melissa and four children.
- Business and Transactions
- Commercial and Business Litigation
- Labor and Employment
- Municipal Law
- Estate Planning, Probate & Trusts
- Professional Liability Defense
- J.D., University of Illinois School of Law, Champaign, Illinois, 1993
- Honors: magna cum laude
- B.A., Economics and Political Science, University of Illinois, Champaign, Illinois, 1990
- Honors: Phi Beta Kappa, Alpha Lambda Delta, George Huff Athletic Scholarship Award
- U.S. District Court, Central District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
- Martindale-Hubbell rating of AV® Preeminent
- Illinois Leading Lawyers List, 2011-2017
“Real Estate Malpractice,” Illinois Causes of Action: Tort Actions, IICLE, 2002; Supplement, 2005; 2008 Edition, 2008; 2011 Edition, 2011
- Instructor, Business Law, Illinois Central College, 1994 – 1995
- “Legislative Update-Statutory Changes Which Affect Businesses and Their Lawyers,” Business Law Seminar, Peoria County Bar Association, 2001 – Present
- “Suing and Defending Dissolved Corporations,” General Practice Seminar, Peoria County Bar Association, 2002 – Present
- “Mechanics’ Liens,” General Practice Seminar, Peoria County Bar Association, 2004 – Present
- “Mechanics’ Liens Update,” General Practice Seminar, Peoria County Bar Association, 2006 – Present
- “Guardianships for Disabled Adults,” Brown Bag Presentation, Peoria County Bar Association, 2001 – Present
- “Employment Law Update,” Illinois Critical Access Hospital Network Seminar, 2009 – Present
- Alzheimer’s Association, Central Illinois Chapter, Secretary and Board of Directors (2003 – 2008)
- MBA, youth basketball, President (2008-2010), Board of Directors (2008 – present)
- MBA, youth basketball, In-House League Coordinator (2010 – present)
- MYBA, youth baseball, Secretary (2010 – 2013), Board of Directors (2009 – 2013)
- A.M. Baseball League, Management Committee (1999 – 2009)
News & Events
Annual Labor & Employment Seminar 2017
Quinn Johnston will be hosting an informative labor and employment law update on Wednesday, May 31, 2017. This comprehensive seminar will include updates on the current employment law topics from the legislature, courts and executive agencies.
Quinn Johnston Attorneys Named as 2017 Leading Lawyers
Law Bulletin Publishing Company and its Leading Lawyers division has announced that 17 attorneys from the Peoria law firm of Quinn, Johnston, Henderson, Pretorius & Cerulo were named by their peers to the list of the top lawyers licensed to practice law in Illinois.
Quinn Johnston Attorneys Named as 2016 Leading Lawyers
Law Bulletin Publishing Company and its Leading Lawyers division has announced that 15 attorneys from the Peoria law firm of Quinn, Johnston, Henderson, Pretorius & Cerulo were named by their peers to the list of the top lawyers licensed to practice law in Illinois.
2015 Business & Tax Seminar
Quinn Johnston will be hosting a Business & Tax Seminar on Thursday, October 22, 2015. Join Quinn Johnston attorneys for this complimentary seminar featuring critical updates and information on issues affecting business owners, CPAs and attorneys, general counsel and in-house counsel.
2014 Annual Business and Tax Seminar
Registration for the 2014 Annual Business and Tax Seminar is open until November 14, 2014. There is no fee for attending the event. Participants will benefit from five presentations regarding current developments and new trends in the area of business and tax law. Participants may earn up to 3.5 credits in Business Law, and CLE accreditation is pending.
Quinn Johnston Hosts Annual Labor and Employment Seminar
Over 100 attendees enjoyed learning about topics relating to HR and personnel issues. Topics included new Illinois legislation affecting employers that was recently signed into law and recent case law developments related to Title VII, Age Discrimination in Employment Act, and Americans with Disability Act.
Annual Labor & Employment Seminar 2014
Quinn Johnston will be hosting an informative labor and employment law update on Tuesday, August 19, 2014. This comprehensive seminar will include updates on the current employment law topics from the legislature, courts and executive agencies.
Stuff-A-Bus Food Drive is a Success
Quinn Johnston proudly supported CityLink with its 25th annual food collection program known as Stuff-a-Bus, which supports Peoria Friendship House. Our firm's contribution exceeded 300 food items as well as monetary donations. Attorneys and staff also helped to "un-stuff" the bus.