Growing up in St. Louis, Missouri, Steve Buck was sure of two things: he would come to be a life-long Cardinals fan and would make a career in law. “My dad was a police officer. When he heard I was interested in law enforcement, he didn’t discourage me from following his career path, but rather encouraged me to do something beyond what he had done. So instead of law enforcement, I chose the practice of law.”
As Steve finished his law degree at St. Louis University in 1992, he considered employment offers from the FBI, the United States Attorney’s Office, and a business litigation practice in Peoria. The lure of the courtroom and the opportunities in a small city of Peoria’s size appealed to Steve, and so he chose the latter, moved with his wife to Peoria, and has been litigating business disputes ever since.
With 20+ years of experience, Steve routinely represents companies facing business-critical disputes. Not all of the shareholder disputes, foreclosure actions, fraud claims, breach of contracts matters, warranty issues or employment disputes Steve handles end up in court. Depending upon a client’s circumstances, negotiation rather than litigation may be the best course. But, when the need arises, Steve has been an aggressive and convincing advocate in the courtroom. Recent highlights include:
- Obtaining summary judgment for an advertising client which invalidated a municipal ordinance seeking to remove the client’s signs without payment of proper compensation.
- Obtaining a defense verdict in favor of a corporate client and its chief financial officer following trial on claims of fraud surrounding the redemption of company stock.
- Successfully trying and resolving multiple claims of shareholder oppression, breach of employment contract, breach of shareholder agreement and breaches of fiduciary duty brought against a telecommunications company by former shareholders and directors.
- Defending three separate lawsuits brought against a pharmaceutical manufacturer by individuals claiming adverse health effects, including permanent injuries, relating to medication compounded by the pharmacy, and obtaining a favorable result for the pharmacy client in all three matters.
When not otherwise involved with employment law matters, OSHA investigations, a set of construction contracts, or the concerns of local municipalities and their collective bargaining agreements, you’ll find Steve rooting for his beloved St. Louis Cardinals.
- J.D., St. Louis University School of Law, St. Louis, Missouri, 1992
- Honors: magna cum laude, Order of the Woolsack
- Law Review: St. Louis University Public Law Review, staff
- B.A., Criminal Justice, St. Louis University, St. Louis, Missouri, 1989
- Honors: magna cum laude
- U.S. District Court, Central District of Illinois
- U. S. District Court, Southern District of Illinois
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit
- American Inn of Court
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Peoria County Bar Association
- Illinois Leading Lawyers list, 2009-2019
- Illinois Super Lawyers list, 2007
- Peoria Public Library Board of Trustees, Secretary (2012 – present)
- Greater Peoria Area CrimeStoppers, Board of Directors, Past President (1996-2008)
- Employment Law Update – Quinn Johnston Labor & Employment Seminar, 2016 – 2019
- Navigating the Americans with Disabilities Act: Who is Qualified Under the ADA and What Exactly is a Reasonable Accommodation? – Quinn Johnston Labor & Employment Seminar, 2018
- Challenges to Businesses in a #MeToo World – Quinn Johnston Business & Tax Seminar, 2018
- Handling Workplace Investigations – Quinn Johnston Labor & Employment Seminar, 2015
- Guns and Drugs at Work: The Impact on Employers of the Legalization of Concealed Carry and Medical Marijuana – Quinn Johnston Labor & Employment Seminar, 2014
News & Events
2019 Business & Tax Seminar
Quinn Johnston will be hosting a Business & Tax Seminar on Tuesday, October 22, 2019. Join Quinn Johnston attorneys for this complimentary seminar featuring critical updates and information on issues affecting business owners, CPAs and attorneys, general counsel and in-house counsel.
Presentations: Quinn Johnston 2019 Labor & Employment Seminar
Quinn Johnston attorneys presented their annual Labor & Employment Seminar on Wednesday, May 29 in East Peoria. Feel free to view or download the presentations from the seminar.
Presentations: Quinn Johnston 2018 Labor & Employment Seminar
Quinn Johnston attorneys presented their annual Labor & Employment Seminar on Thursday, June in East Peoria. Feel free to view or download the presentations from the seminar.
Quinn Johnston’s Entire Partnership Named as 2018 Leading Lawyers in Their Respective Practice Areas
Leading Lawyers has announced that 18 attorneys from the Peoria law firm of Quinn, Johnston, Henderson, Pretorius & Cerulo were named by their peers to the list of the top lawyers licensed to practice law in Illinois. Sixteen of the lawyers were named Leading Lawyers, a distinction earned by fewer than five percent of all lawyers registered to practice in Illinois and two were named Emerging Lawyers, a distinction earned by fewer than two percent. Significantly, every firm partner was named a leading lawyer in their designated areas of practice.
Presentations: Quinn Johnston 2017 Business & Tax Seminar
Quinn Johnston attorneys presented their annual Business & Tax Seminar on Thursday, October 19 in East Peoria. Feel free to view or download the presentations from the seminar.
Presentations: Quinn Johnston 2017 Government & Liability Seminar
Quinn Johnston attorneys presented their annual Government & Liability Seminar on Wednesday, October 25 in East Peoria. The following are videos of each presentation within the seminar.
2017 Business & Tax Seminar
Quinn Johnston will be hosting a Business & Tax Seminar on Thursday, October 19, 2017. Join Quinn Johnston attorneys for this complimentary seminar featuring critical updates and information on issues affecting business owners, CPAs and attorneys, general counsel and in-house counsel.
2017 Government & Liability Seminar
Please join Quinn Johnston on Wednesday, October 25, 2017 for our annual Government & Liability Seminar. Our attorneys will present current developments and new trends that affect municipalities, city managers, insurers, risk managers and adjusters.
Annual Labor & Employment Seminar 2017
Quinn Johnston will be hosting an informative labor and employment law update on Wednesday, May 31, 2017. This comprehensive seminar will include updates on the current employment law topics from the legislature, courts and executive agencies.
Federal Court in Texas Stops Implementation of New FLSA Overtime Rule
On November 22, 2016, just nine days before the implementation of the Department of Labor’s new federal overtime rule, a federal judge in Texas has issued a preliminary injunction stopping the new rule from taking effect as planned on December 1st.
Quinn Johnston Attorneys Named as 2016 Leading Lawyers
Law Bulletin Publishing Company and its Leading Lawyers division has announced that 15 attorneys from the Peoria law firm of Quinn, Johnston, Henderson, Pretorius & Cerulo were named by their peers to the list of the top lawyers licensed to practice law in Illinois.
Government & Liability Seminar
Quinn Johnston hosted an informative government and liability seminar on Wednesday,September 16, 2015. This complimentary seminar was suited for Insurers, Adjusters, Risk Managers, Municipalities, City Managers and others in government.
Quinn Johnston Hosts Annual Labor and Employment Seminar
Over 100 attendees enjoyed learning about topics relating to HR and personnel issues. Topics included new Illinois legislation affecting employers that was recently signed into law and recent case law developments related to Title VII, Age Discrimination in Employment Act, and Americans with Disability Act.
Annual Labor & Employment Seminar 2014
Quinn Johnston will be hosting an informative labor and employment law update on Tuesday, August 19, 2014. This comprehensive seminar will include updates on the current employment law topics from the legislature, courts and executive agencies.
Quinn Johnston Gains 5 Partners in Peoria from Husch Blackwell
Quinn Johnston extended our firm by adding a group of five very well-respected attorneys. Our clients will benefit from the expansion of expertise available through our firm, and the clients that these new attorneys bring with them will gain greater breadth of local representation.